Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 30, 2008

I didn't include Angie


Back in the days of yore any self respecting guitarist learned a tune called Angie or went home. It was the passport into a folk club.
'Angie' was written by the now legendary Davey Graham - paving the way for Martin Carthy, Bert Jansch, John Renbourne and many others. Davy experimented with music from many places - Morocco, Bulgaria to add new textures to English folk music. One of his great legacies for guitarists was the DADGAD tuning - I have used this for many years now as well as others such as CGCGCD. He has a website. Angie was made famous by Bert Jansch and copied (as were many things) by Paul Simon. Davey's version is, for me, the best - he manages to get a subtle swing into his. John Renbourne also does it great credit too mind you.
Out of respect I have omitted my version because I learned the Paul Simon version and have been ashamed ever since.
After years of obscurity Davy is back thanks to the efforts of Mark Peavey and his CD is out and titled Broken Biscuits. It is a collection of tunes - nothing too special and nothing like the old Graham - well in fairness it wouldn't be - not the fiery young man any more. Rumours of his gigs speak of poor performances and drink. Sad.

The odd bits of guitar tunes here of mine are a bit old now - I am waiting to get my new multi-track powered up and do them and others properly.
Bob's Song is a tune by Martin Simpson and Flower of Sweet Erin is also after his arrangement.
Heartsong is a take of a Gordon Giltrap.
McGee's Rag - an old standard - I have always enjoyed rag tunes - listen to John Pearse to hear it done properly.
Bogie's Bonny Belle is the tune of a wonderful bothy song - best of Scottish songs for my money.
My Highland Lass is a tune I wrote I moved to Scotland.
Beachcomber is based around an old Gordon Giltrap tune - Gordon is one of my favourite players - not recognised enough for the really gifted musician and composer he is.

All played on an old Takamine with a Zoom effects and an ancient coal fired Laney amp.
I enjoy it all whatever anybody says.

No comments: