Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Sammy's Bar - Cyril Tawney


Sammy's Bar - Cyril Tawney

My first venture onto the folk scene was at a pub in Devonport (Plymouth) in around 1965 as a young and aspiring guitar player who had heard Davy Graham. Running this club was Cyril Tawney who went on to be a broadcaster and professional folk singer for 44 years - a record he proudly held. I remember the evening well. I was introduced to Cyril and he asked me if I wanted to do a spot. I did and made a nervous stab at Seven Gypsies (a la D. Graham). Later on Cyril asked me to join in one one of his songs - simple enough he said and indeed I tinkled along happily.The song was Sammy's Bar. I have never forgotten it or stopped singing it along with Cyril's other songs.


Here it is

I went down to Sammy's Bar

Hey, the last boat's a'leavin

By the shore at Pieta

Haul away the daighsoe

And my real love, she was there
There was sand all in her hair

How did sand get in your hair
Darling Johnny put it there

Been with Johnny all the day
Down at Ghajn Tuffheija Bay

He's a better man by far
Because he's got a Yankee car

I went out from Sammy's Bar
Had to hire a Yankee car

Fourteen days I drank no wine
Saving for that love of mine

Then one day in Paula square
At a paper I did stare

Johnny tried a hairpin bend
For my love, it was the end

Going back to Sammy's Bar
I don't need no Yankee car

Cyril Tawney (12 October 1930– 21 April 2005, Exeter.)

Here is Cyril's site - http://www.cyriltawney.co.uk

Thank you Cyril - for the memories and the songs.

No comments: